Getting to and from the office is an essential aspect of successful workplace productivity. In this blog post, we introduce the Bay Area Commuter Benefits Program, what it is and who it will benefit.
What is it?
The Bay Area Commuter Benefits Program is a specialty program designed to aid in the successful office commutes of employees of companies. If a company has over 50 full time employees then they are required to offer commuter benefits to their team members.
What are the options?
According to CommuterBenefits.com there are four options for employers to choose from. They are:
1. Allow employees to exclude their transit or vanpool costs from taxable income, to the maximum amount, as allowed by federal law (currently $130 per month).
2. Employer-provided transit or vanpool subsidy up to $75 per month.
3. Employer-provided free or low cost bus, shuttle or vanpool service operated by or for the employer.
4. An alternative employer-provided commuter benefit that is as effective as in reducing single occupant vehicles as Options 1-3.
How will it help?
The Bay Area Commuter Benefits Program is poised to benefit far beyond a single employee or company. In fact, on the Bay Area Air Quality Management District website there are six positive benefits that can be derived from the benefits program. They are:
- Promote the use of alternative commute modes such as transit, ride-sharing, biking and walking
- Reduce motor vehicle travel
- Reduce emissions of greenhouse gases and other air pollutants
- Improve air quality and protect public health
- Reduce traffic congestion
- Save money for employers and employees by expanding the use of the commuter tax benefit provisions in the federal tax code.
San Francisco currently has a commuter benefits program of its own and it is important to understand that if your company already participates in the San Francisco program, they are not required to participate in the Bay Area program. More information pertaining to the San Francisco program can be found, here.
Menlo Partners Staffing provides temporary staffing and direct hire, contingent recruitment services for roles within accounting, administration, finance, human resources, marketing and operations. Contact us today by phone at 650-752-6193 or by email at email@example.com.
Photo Credit: KevinCole